Monday 5 September 2011

Why use hand tools?

Match planes for tongue and groove joints
Match planes for tongue and groove joints
I use hand tools from a combination of circumstance and choice.
Before my wife Christine and I moved to America from England I gave away most of my power tools because of the differences in voltage and cyclic rate between the two countries.

Since arriving in Seattle I've returned to using my hand tools and have bought more.  The English match planes in the photo above came from Patrick Leach of the Superior Works http://www.supertool.com/.

Power tools are more efficient than hand tools for making long runs of identical parts - however my clients' custom desks are designed individually, so identical parts aren't needed, the finished desks have a pleasing hand-made look, and my shop is quieter and less dusty compared to many.

No comments:

Post a Comment